Discussion: why do we miss Pivotal Tracker?

Davis’s article about tracker hits some of what I miss about it, but there are other immediate things for me, and I’m sure for others.

https://dwf.bigpencil.net/why-do-we-miss-pivotal-tracker/

I also miss the instant status read of a specific, legible process. I could glance at a tracker backlog and instantly have questions relevant to the health of that team and project, like “what is wrong with CI” or “what happened that you have so many unaccepted stories? Were a bunch of them blocked and this is a batch, or…?”

1 Like

I missed how it gathered context, like with the links between git commits and Tracker issues. After Pivotal, I worked somewhere that used Trello, Chef, and a maze of dozens of interrelated git repos, all alike. In comparison to Pivotal, it was hostile to historical “how did we do this? And why?” questions.

2 Likes

The source control integration was pretty good in use, though I was sometimes frustrated with it.

The way it handled blockers and cross-story links really facilitated the context-gathering thing.

It had this feature where you could click and get a link to the story, and then represented story links as nice buttons in the rendered text, and a button to expand out from a story to see the stories around it - which was as useful on finished stories as it was on blocked stories and iceboxed stories.

1 Like

This crossed 3300 impressions on LinkedIn, plus a little bit of engagement on Mastodon. By far my “post with the most” in the past two years! Thanks!

2 Likes